Guildford Society Logo

Different Perspectives

Guildford from the River Wey

The River Wey
Flood Meadows
Town Bridge
St Catherine's
The Navigation
The Mills
The Working River
New Industries
Historic Buildings
Modern Buildings

River Wey Talk
Mystery Photos
Main Page

 Exhibition Section 5

St Catherine's

The ford at St Catherine’s was replaced by a ferry c.1760. In later years, it operated, rather fitfully, until 1963.
The footbridge was built in 1978. It is the only bridge in Guildford to have been designed by an architect, H.T. Cadbury Brown. St Catherine’s Bridge provides an important link in the “North Downs Way”. Previously walkers had to make a long detour into the town.

St Catherine's Ferry c1895 - Guildford Museum

St Catherine's Footbridge

St Catherine's Footbridge - Photo by Shirley Graber

Click here to go to section 6 The Navigation