Guildford Society Logo

Different Perspectives

Guildford from the River Wey

The River Wey
Flood Meadows
Town Bridge
St Catherine's
The Navigation
The Mills
The Working River
New Industries
Historic Buildings
Modern Buildings

River Wey Talk
Mystery Photos
Main Page

 Exhibition Section 3

The Town Bridge

There were two main prehistoric crossings on the Wey, one on the site of the present “Town Bridge”, and one where the “Pilgrim’s Way” (an ancient trackway) crosses the river below St Catherine’s Hill.

The first Town Bridge was built in 920. It was a wooden bridge, alongside the ford. It was replaced by a three arched stone bridge by the monks of Waverly in 1200. This bridge lasted 700 years. It was adapted to give greater clearance for the Wey Navigation in 1760, when the rise in water level and dredging of the river, finally prevented the use of the ford.  The Town Bridge was severely damaged by a flood in 1900 and was rebuilt as a single span iron bridge.

Flood Damage to Town Bridge 1900 - Guildford Institute

Town BridgeTown Bridge 2007 - Photo by Shirley Graber

Click here to go to Section 4 Bridges